Monday, April 25, 2011

How to Get Out of Our Comfort Zone and Move Past the Guilt Excuse!


I always read about great conferences, I save the emails and brochures and then tell myself that next time I’ll have the time to attend. So when a good business friend generously offered a ticket to the sold out Simmons Leadership Conference in Boston, I jumped at the chance. Easy, end of story, right? I then spent the next week totally torturing myself. Should I go, shouldn’t I go, too busy at work, too much coordination, too much money and then the walapalusa for all women, my family might need me, aaargh! But alas here I am at my lovely and quiet hotel room typing away. There are adorable little soaps and shampoo and I get to have a very well appointed king size bed all to myself (sorry Eric, I really will miss you).

Why should we push ourselves to attend these kinds of events when the opportunities arise and why is it so difficult for women to make time for ourselves? The answer to the first question is easy, throw hundreds of like-minded people in a room and you’re bound to get something good out of it. Conversation is the inspiration for innovation and who doesn’t need a little inspiration. The second question “guilt” is much more complicated. Sometimes I think it’s a perfect excuse for not moving out of our comfort zones. As a wise friend told me, “You can only grow if you are willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable.”

So all I have to decide now is which out of three seminars to attend, Understanding Social Networks, Dealing With Difficult People or The Female Vision, hmmmmm. Room service, please!

–Ann Byne, Principal, The Byne Group


1 comment:

Michele Phillips said...

I feel your pain Ann. There is always a good reason to keep working and definitely a list of excuses as to why you can't take the time for yourself. Once you experience the high and the inspiration of listening to women who are passionate and making things happen you will wonder why you waited. I can't wait to read what you will write after you experience the day.